Sunday, March 20, 2011

Same gear......

My last posted touched on some of my roots on two wheels.  I always looked forward to going to my grandparents for a visit.  Who wouldn't???  You always had different toys to play with.  Both sets of my grandparents lived in Monrovia, so our visits hit two different places.  I got to keep a bicycle at one grandparents, so I could ride my bike in the neighborhood.  My other grandparents, I covered in a previous post.  He had motorcycles.  I always looked forward to getting to sit on grandpa's bike while he worked on it in the driveway.  We would even go for a ride, as well.  When I was about 8 years old, Grandpa Mohr bought a Kawasaki KV75 for me to ride.  It stayed at his house, so I didn't get to ride it regularly.  I remember that I could ride it up and down the street and that was it.  He taught me to make a tight u-turn without putting my foot down.  They had a long driveway, and he would have me go down the driveway and turn around without my feet hitting the ground.  God forbid, I rode on the grass.  I did that once and lost my privileges for the rest of the day. 

(Note:  The pictures shown here might be offensive to young parents in todays world.  I had a great childhood, but some photos may show a lack of parental judgement, as far as todays standards go.    Kids my age weren't sheltered from everything in the world that could hurt them.  Sometimes a lesson is better learned from a skinned knee.... 

Yea ladies, the socks match the shirt....
I was told to hold on to the handle bars by the horn button
Hey buddy, can you check the tire pressure???
It is too late to call child protection.  This was over 30 years ago, and I think there is a statue of limitations.
At the lake with mom and dad....
Now I can ride it whenever I want...
After Grandpa passed away, we brought the bike up here to get it running...
I sure would have liked to have kept it, but it wasn't in the cards..  It was sold to a collector that shipped it to Japan...
I sure hope it is still around.

No comments:

Post a Comment