Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Kool old Stevens at Harbor Freight...

I had to stop at Harbor Freight this morning to get chop saw blades before going to the shop...   As I rounded the corner, I saw this kool old flatbottom in the parking lot.  As I got closer, I could tell it had been put together a very long time ago, and was pretty original.  You could tell it was a beautiful boat in its day and was structurally in great shape with no cracks anywhere.   The metalflake on the deck was shot as was the metalflake steering wheel.  The motor was a late 60's big block Chevy with really vintage marine hardware.  The interior was pretty original white with orange piping and even the upholstered inner fenders were intact.  Somebody had put some newer gauges in it but the mechanical Jones tach was still there.  I spoke with the older guy that had it and he plans to restore it, meaning all new paint and interior, color change and all. 

Personally I loved it the way it was, and I would only do the bare minumum to make it useable without taking away from the historical symbol that it is...   Anybody can restore something, but it is only "original" once...




 







No comments:

Post a Comment